CLICK HERE TO BUY T-SHIRTS, TOTE BAGS, ETC.:

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

A New Direction


I don't know how faithful I'll be to this new idea, but I'm going to make a starting stab at it.

I wear two artistic hats -- I create nonrepresentational art on gallery-wrap canvases, in addition to designing stencils for StencilGirlProducts.com.  

Sometimes these two activities work in tandem, resulting in many of the artworks shown at Pixels.com.



Above:  a current work-in-progress...photographed in half-shadow because I was too lazy to move another artwork-in-progress off the easel and replace it with this one, just for the photo.

I'm not going to paint it. 

Of course, this idea did cross my mind; all of us artists know what happens when we dry-brush paint across surfaces with inviting textures!

I'm also tempted in that direction because I just know that people are going to want to touch this surface when it's hanging in the gallery at the Guild.  (Hey, I'm that way myself.  I can hardly complain, after a lifetime of wanting to touch others' texture-rich artwork, if someone wants to do the same to mine!)   

But I decided that if it gets grimed up by curious fingers, then I can always paint it at that future time.   For now, I like the "rawness" of these gorgeous handmade papers (none of which were made by me.  All are commercial purchases that have been hanging in my closet for years, begging to be used.  At least I now know that they didn't contain acid; if they had, they certainly had enough time to develop foxing stains.)

I created the focal point -- tissue paper stained with ink blots -- so long ago that I'm not sure what I used; it could have been walnut ink or an acrylic ink mixture.

I pre-tested this ink-blotted tissue to make sure it wouldn't bleed when I pressed it down onto my matte medium-brushed substrate.  My pre-test showed that I could trust it to stay intact, upon contact with moisture -- but, still doubtful, I'd developed a back-up plan, creating something to cover it, if it did bleed and make a mess.  (Now my unused back-up plan will become the focal point in the next collage in this series.)

I honestly can't remember my exact technique in creating this stained tissue, but I suspect that I poured ink several times in random places across a sheet of tissue paper.  I know that I would have had the tissue paper spread across a work surface covered in resist paper.  Probably freezer paper, shiny side up, since that's my go-to favorite.  

Whatever ink I used, it separated into these patterns of varying monochromatic shades all on its own.

I should be more like my gal-pal Cindy Powell, who keeps records of all her art explorations; if I were, I could repeat this staining process with confidence.

But I've tried to force myself to work this way -- only to rebel against this resolution, every time!

It's just not fun for me, to slam on the brakes when I'm elbow-deep in the creative process ... to take time to record my materials and steps.

I want my art-making to be fun.  My inner child insists upon it!          

2 comments:

  1. I agree it is hard to stop during your artistic endeavors to record what you are doing. The muse wants to keep going! You have inspired me to add some collage and inks to my art journal page today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collage and inks -- sounds like a winning combination!

      Delete