CLICK HERE TO BUY T-SHIRTS, TOTE BAGS, ETC.:

Monday, October 2, 2017

MIMOSA 9" x 12" Stencil and Texture Paint for Making Gelli Plate Prints


For today's project, I first used masking tape to secure my 9"X 12" stencil Mimosa to a sheet of previously painted newsprint. 



Then I began to outline the design with a watercolor pencil --


The above close-up shows the blue outlines as they are being drawn around each part of the design, by tracing the open edges of the stencil.


Above: The stencil has been removed; the watercolor pencil lines remain.




Above:  Using squeeze-bottle texture paint, I've begun to trace the penciled-in lines.  

Above:  The textured outlines have been completed
I waited for the texture paint to fully dry.

My next step was to start printing with my Gelli Plate (I used the 12" X 14" plate since my large Mimosa stencil measures 9"X 12".) 


With a brayer, I spread open acrylic paint over the plate, then pressed the textured paper face-down onto the wet paint.  When I pulled the paper up, it had collected some of the paint, and it had left an imprint.

I pulled one - two prints from the imprinted surface of the Gelli Plate, then repeated the process several times with new layers of paint, continuing until I had pulled a number of prints.

Having previously used the Gelli Plate with the Mimosa stencil itself -- not an outlined version created from the stencil -- I could immediately see the difference between the two in terms of results.  I'm pleased with the results I've achieved both the original way -- using the stencil itself -- and this new way.


 Two of the "new-way" prints are shown below.







To show a comparison with the "old-way" Gelli Plate prints, created by using the stencil itself instead of a texture-outlined version, I'll include the images below --





(To explain what I mean by "the old way," I'm talking about brayering the Gelli Plate print with open acrylic, then placing the original stencil onto the plate.  The stencil is then lifted, leaving its imprint on the plate.  Next, a sheet of paper is pressed onto the plate, and pulled.  The above two images were achieved this way.)

Last but not least, here is the paper I had treated with texture paint.  This is how it appears now that it has been used multiple times with the Gelli Plate.  It was a tool, but now it's artwork itself:






Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To follow by email, just check out the option in the upper right sidebar.

To see my full line of stencils, please visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment