Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Mary Beth Shaw with HERON and OSPREY WINGS 6" x 6" Stencils


The July/August 2017 Somerset Studio magazine carried Mary Beth Shaw's write-up about using silhouette stencils with patterned stencils.  This vintage copy of the magazine may still be available online, either from its publisher or perhaps on EBay.
 

 









To my delight, for this article, among other StencilGirl stencils, Mary Beth had chosen two of my 6" x 6" silhouette stencils for her demonstrations. 












Mary Beth's stunning artwork above was created with the help of Osprey Wings ...






6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings





... and my 6" x 6" stencil Heron ...














... was used with other StencilGirl stencils in Mary Beth's art below...















Mary Beth's process:

Make an imprint with the silhouette stencil and allow that paint to dry.  

Place the stencil back over the print.  (Secure with masking tape if desired.)

Layer a patterned stencil over the first stencil and make an imprint with it.  Usually you would want to use a contrasting color; in the example directly above, Mary Beth used the complimentary color orange when making the patterned imprint, having used blue for her initial imprint.

When the second imprint is being made, the first stencil becomes a mask to keep the second (patterned) stencil inside the lines of the silhouette.

There are probably several ways to come up with the same results; I tried one of them in creating this--










Below is a close-up detail:










In creating the above, my approach was: 
(1) Trace a cat from my 6" x 6" stencil Cats onto a blue-and-red print that I'd made using my 9" x 12" ATC Mixup Swatton # 1.
(2)  Cut around the traced outline. 
(3) Now that the cat shape is cut out, any other stencil print can be placed behind the cat-shaped opening.  I chose a black-and-white print that I'd made using my 6" x 6" mask Sprigs.  (This is the mask designed to have a "hidden angel!")




Sprigs in its entirety looks like this --











9" x 12" ATC Mixup Swatton # 1 contains both stencils and masks, all sized to fit Artist Trading Cards, and looks like this:










Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment