Sunday, April 29, 2018

6" x 6" stencil THISTLES SMALL


Small Thistles, a 6" x 6" stencil, was developed to provide a larger version of some of the stencil silhouettes that made up the big sister stencil, 9" x 12" Thistles.

The first photo below shows the stencil used "as-is" (as opposed to using it in a different way, illustrated in today's second photo.)  The background on this first art sample is a page from an old calendar.





On the artwork below, I used Small Thistles in a way that's new for me -- instead of printing the three figures side-by-side, as they appear on the stencil, I printed each of the thistles separately, placing the stencil at a tilt and lining up the stems.  Between each print, I lifted the stencil and allowed the just-made print to dry.  I used the traditional daubing technique, with heavy body acrylic paint and Sofft Art Sponge.

Another new approach, for me, was to use an Exacto knife to scrape off dried paint in some areas.  This was to help achieve a rustic look.  Also it was helpful in reducing the impression that a stencil had been used, because I scratched thru the areas on the stems and flowers where a gap appeared, due to the stencil's design.  This can be seen better by clicking on the photo below to enlarge it.





In making the print below, I went back to using the stencil as-is.  This print was made on "catch-all" paper -- the scrap paper that I use when painting; before placing my brush into a water jar, I swipe off as much excess paint as possible, onto scrap paper.  It "catches" all my excess paint, to keep wet paint from building up in the water.  This is one of the ecologically-smart ways to work toward protecting the water supply. 





One of my reasons for developing a 6" x 6" Thistles was that I still make my own greeting cards.  Below are two of them.



Above:  This card was made in two steps.  The bottom print was allowed to dry before the top print was made.




Thanks for visiting my blog today!  In tomorrow's post I'll trot out more art samples made with one of my newly released stencils and mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment