Tuesday, May 21, 2019

MIKKI'S FLOWERS MASK & STENCIL (both 6" x 6") with 9" x 12" FACETS Stencil



Today's first art sample was developed in two steps:   

First, I placed Mikki's Flowers Mask (6" x 6") onto a near-black substrate (a greeting card blank) and ran a sponge brayer (loaded with heavy-body acrylic pink paint) over the mask.  

Because the original surface had been nearly black, and because the mask kept the areas behind its shapes from receiving paint, the result was a "shadow" image.  

After the surface dried, I placed Mikki's Flowers Stencil (also 6" x 6") over the shadow -- but a little to the right of it.  

Then I rolled another brayer (loaded with heavy-body blue acrylic paint) over the stencil.

The result was that the blue silhouette appears to have a shadow, which gives the image a 3-dimensional look.  

You can better see details in the image below by clicking on it to enlarge it.




Today's second image, below, is likewise a double-print.  In this case, I used Mikki's Flowers Stencil for both paint applications.

My background was an old encyclopedia page -- one that features the drawing of a flowering plant.

After making the pale blue print and allowing it to dry, I made a purple print, not immediately over the original; instead, it's off to one side.  This too creates the illusion of a 3-dimensional image.




Below is a detail close-up from another double print on a different page from an old encyclopedia.  This time, I tinted the old paper a pale green before applying  Mikki's Flowers Stencil twice, leaving drying time between the two applications.  Again, I made the prints over an old illustration of a flowering plant.




The art sample below started with a green paper that I first printed with my 9" x 12" stencil Facets.  After that layer of acrylic paint had dried, I used Mikki's Flowers Stencil in a high-contrast shade of red.




Although I could easily make my prints on a Gelli Plate, I find that, most of the time, I prefer loading a sponge brayer with acrylic paint, or even gesso, as shown below (this gesso is black) --




I place a dollop of paint onto a disposable plate and roll the sponge brayer over it till the brayer is loaded.  Then I roll the brayer over the stencil or mask.

Today's featured stencils include:


Facets Stencil (9" x 12")

Mikki's Flowers Stencil (6" x 6")

Mikki's Flowers Mask (6" x 6")

I really appreciate your stopping by my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment