How did these two collages happen?
Both collages started with a pair of scissors and two 9" x 12" printed papers I'd developed with my Palm Fronds Silhouette series. This series can be bought individually or together; they look like this--
|Palm Fronds Silhouette Large L791 (9" x 12")|
|Palm Fronds Silhouette Small s238 (6" x 6")|
|Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini m050 (4" x 4")|
Those two printed papers were created layer by layer, each layer a different color (heavy body acrylic paints). I turned the paper 90 degrees before adding each new coat of paint. This series of turns is what produced the crisscrossed lines in the two original printed papers, shown below --
|Above: Notice that in the bottom layers I used translucent paints so that each color layer remained somewhat visible. The top yellow layer, however, was done in opaque acrylic paint.|
|Above: Again in the bottom layers of the central image, I used translucent paints so that each color layer remained somewhat visible. The top green layer, however, was done in opaque acrylic paint.|
I used some of those lines to guide my scissors as I cut the two papers into pieces.
It was fun assembling the pieces on a base of watercolor paper; I tried several variations --
|Above: Windmills I in the first trial layout of papers.|
|Above: Windmills I in the second trial layout of papers.|
|Above: Windmills I in the last layout of papers -- the one I picked as the finalist (which you can see at the top of today's post).|
I still had plenty of scraps left so I decided to make a second collage ....
|Above: Windmills II in a trial layout of papers. The final collage appears above -- the second photo in today's post.|