Monday, August 8, 2022

Unique Party Favor Boxes by Judi Kauffman !

 My friend Judi Kauffman has shown me an entirely new-to-me way to use stencil- and mask-printed paper.  

Till Judi came along, if you'd asked me  "What is a favor bag?" or "What is an ATC storage box?" my come back would have been one word:  "Huh!?"

When I saw Judi's photos, however, understanding was immediate.  After all, I'd been the one who'd had the pleasure of making party favors for my daughter's bridal shower in 2019.  At that time, a friend suggested using tiny pots of baby succulents as favors, so my love for succulents  took over.  (And a few of the shower guests were seen leaving with 3 or 4 potted baby succulents clasped close to their chests!) 

Had I known Judi back then, her influence would have had me using stencil- or mask-printed papers to decorate party favor holders like the ones starring in today's post.  My little potted succulents would have been nestled into those holders!

The starting point for making these little mementoes is the wedding aisle of a craft store or, in the woodcraft aisle, the woodcraft version of a party favor holder.

If you choose the wedding aisle you'll find "naked" flat shapes die-cut from corrugated cardboard or cardstock.  

If you opt instead for the woodcraft aisle, you'll find the woodcraft version, but here the party favor holder are already assembled. (These small holders are a form of what sculpting artists call "armatures" -- three-dimensional skeletal structures created to be covered by some form of sculptural art.) 

The corrugated cardboard or cardstock die-cuts look somewhat like this:


Above:  This drawing is my (very) rough sketch of what the cardboard or cardstock die-cut shapes look like, while still flat. These shapes vary; some have tops that fold over to close across the tops of the boxes.  Judi's has an open top with twin handles.


 

Below: Judi's double prints of Fire Cherries Mask L879 adorn this party favor holder, making it unique among all party favor holders!




Above:  a broad-side view.

 


Above:  a view of one of the narrow sides.


In developing decorative paper to cover this favor giftbox, Judi covered the paper's surface with acrylic paint in random colors but mainly light orange, turquoise and the interference version of aqua (also called color-shift aqua.)  Once those paints dried, she placed 9" x 12" Fire Cherries Mask L879 onto the paper and applied black acrylic paint.

After allowing the black topcoat to dry, Judi folded and assembled the piece.  (Gluestick is generally her go-to adhesive.)

Some time age, I'd designed ATC Mixup Swatton #1 L768 and ATC Mixup Swatton #2 L769 -- without giving a thought as to storage for the resulting Artist Trading Card-sized mini-artworks to be created with these stencils and masks!  Here's an example to carry across an idea of what ATCs may look like:



Above:  An Artist Trading Card-sized sample made using one of the masks included in the 9" x 12" sheet of heavy Mylar entitled  ATC Mixup Swatton #2 L769 

In its entirely, Fire Cherries Mask L879 looks like this --





Please know I'm grateful for you for taking time to check out my blog today! To scroll thru the pages of my stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment