Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Artists using my Stencils and Masks at StencilGirlProducts.com

Artist Tommy Buell McDonell has hit the ball out of the ballpark!  This project took a really long time, but Tommy had patience!  

First she made a print using my 9" x 12" Vases L144Next, on a variety of her collage papers, she traced the shapes that are included in my 9" x 12" Vases L144 ... then she cut out each of those shapes and adhered them to that original print, matching each shape as she went.  Wow!





Notice how Tommy took advantage of the contrast between opposites on the color wheel*** -- blue and a subtly tinted yellow that faintly leans toward orange.  And just look at the variety of collage papers that Tommy used for cutting out her traced shapes!  I've done this kind of work myself so I know it's a labor of love.  

Another artist to highlight in today's post:  My longtime friend Cindy Powell, who several years ago sent me this happy-faced birthday card.  Its image was cut from a larger print made using my 9" x 12" Mimosa Stencil L141.....





Notice that, like Tommy, Cindy took advantage of near-opposite hues on the color wheel, green and red (with a touch of yellow, just for fun!)  Also like Tommy, Cindy heightened contrast by marrying a bright, deep reddish background with a muted green that's much lighter in value than its background.

The value of contrast is showcased in these two artworks.

Moving the spotlight in another direction, let's treat ourselves by looking at the deep rich tones celebrated in the artwork of Netherlands artist Sylvia Lokhoff de Bruijn. The two examples below show two collections of Sylvia's art created with several stencils and masks from StencilGirlProducts.com.



Above:  Along with several other stencils and masks from StencilGirlProducts.com, Sylvia has used my 9" x 12" Longwood Florals Stencil L676 in the upper left and the upper right. In those two art samples, notice the delicious contrast between matte acrylic paint and gold reflective acrylic paint.  This is most prominent in the print in the upper right.  Here Sylvia shows the power of bling!




Above:  Along with several other stencils and masks from StencilGirlProducts.com, Sylvia has used my 9" x 12" Garden Montage L652 in printing the middle top art sample and the bright orange-red-mixed print at the upper right.  Normally in my blog posts, I include links to all of the other StencilGirl designers' stencils and masks.  Now recovering from surgery, my time at the PC is limited, so I encourage readers to go to StencilGirlProducts.com to search out these other stencils and masks that Sylvia has used here.  I promise it your time will be well spent!



Above:  Another Netherlands artist, Claudia Holland, has contrasted white with dark hues, a rich delightful merging of yellow-orange, purple and blue with a "spice color" -- red.  She's used my 9" x 12" Prayer Flags L371.

Closing out today's post is this wonderful artwork by artist Karen Hale.  Because I'm among the many fans who have lovingly followed Karen's art, year after year, I'm beyond thrilled that in this piece Karen chose to use my 6" x 6" Pavilion Shadows s464 Notice how Karen has subtly created areas of special interest by applying parts of Pavilion Shadows s464 in the upper left, the lower central and the lowest right.  This is a classic example of leading the viewer's eye thru a painting.  In our culture we're used to reading top to bottom, left to right, so our attention is drawn automatically to the upper left, to start our happy visual journey thru Karen's painting.






*** To see an example of a color wheel, check out The Color Wheel Company.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment