Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Try Something New with Stencils and Masks!


Encouraged by one of the videos of StencilGirl's MaryBeth Shaw, I've tried something new -- using stencils and masks with low-viscosity media.  Normally I use only high-viscosity media (most often, heavy body acrylic paint), since I usually want an imprint that closely resembles the stencil or mask.  Using low-viscosity ("runny") media means taking risks!  And getting surprises!

For this series of experiments, I chose Sumi ink.  This black ink beads up when brushed across paper with glossy surfaces as well as paper previously coated with acrylic paints.  Sometimes the beads are small; other times, they stretch out into pools.  In both cases -- whatever is revealed with the lift of the stencil -- a surprise is guaranteed.  No two prints will match, nor will any of the prints be exact replicas of the stencils or masks used in their creation.

For my approach, I wasn't stingy in the amount of ink I used; instead, I brushed it in generous swipes over the stencils and masks.  This guaranteed there would be a lot of beading and pooling on the papers under the stencils.






Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I used the 6" x 6" stencil Kaleid s085.











Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I used 6" x 6" stencil Pavilion Shadows s464.









Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I again used my 6" x 6" stencil Kaleid s085.  Besides being coated with acrylic paints, this paper was textured.  Its original source had been an outdated Braille catalog.  You can better see the Braille by clicking on the above image to enlarge it.









Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I again used 6" x 6" stencil Pavilion Shadows 
s464









Above:  On glossy paper, previously printed with a photo, I used Sumi ink with my 6" x 6"Trivet C s168.  Trivet C s168 is one in a series of trivet stencils I've designed for StencilGirl.








Stencils and masks used today include--











I encourage you, too, to try something new ... it's good for you!

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment