Sunday, January 19, 2020

VASES Stencils



I've always loved the shapes of vases because, to my eye, the majority of them suggest the feminine form.  My 9" x 12" stencil Two Vases (featured in my last post) is one of two vase-design stencils I've developed for StencilGirl:


Two Vases

The other is my 9" x 12" Vases stencil --


Vases

It was Vases stencil that I grabbed when developing the background of the painting below:






Having painted that background with full-strength heavy-body acrylic paints, I decided to add a layer of water-diluted white gesso to "knock back" the original background, with the goal of making it look less prominent and more visually distant. 

After waiting for my background to dry, I used a sponge applicator to add heavy-body orange acrylic paint thru one of the two vases in my 9" x 12" stencil Two Vases, creating the dominant orange figure.

 With the same stencil and another sponge applicator, I added a faint green "echo"-image on the far right.  (You can click on the above photo to enlarge it and better see that detail.)

 After those acrylic paints had dried, I came up with a homemade stencil by freehand-drawing a smaller vase of the same shape as the dominant orange figure.  After drawing that outline on cardstock, I used fine-detail scissors to cut it out.  Then I mixed Golden Titanium White liquid acrylic paint equally with water, and added a little Golden Air Brush Medium.  I poured that mix into a mister bottle and sprayed the resulting white paint thru the opening I'd cut out. 

Below is an artwork-in-progress that I've begun using both stencils on the 9" x 12" stencil Two Vases.  This time, I used pale green spray paint that I developed in the same way as described above.





I use these homemade acrylic sprays rather than commercial sprays because this gives me freedom to mix any "hybrid" color combination that I want.

And, when working on canvas, I use acrylic spray paints because they are waterproof once dry.

Thanks for stopping by to check out my blog today!

To follow it by email, please use that option in the above right sidebar.

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment