Friday, March 27, 2020

Flowers Printed with Stencils and Masks


Flowers are starting to bloom!  Outdoors and indoors....

Over a white gesso-coated stretched canvas, I started an art project by spreading a large pool of orange and yellow acrylic paints; next to them, a small pool of green and aqua paints.  

I misted the edges of the pools with water in a spritz-bottle, then did a little tilting to help encourage the spreading paint pools.  

Once the surface was dry, I placed my 9"x1 2" stencil Queen Anne's Lace over it.  With masking tape, I blocked off one of the flowers to keep it from printing.  

My next step was to apply green acrylic paint thru the stencil with stencil sponges

The finished piece is here:




And below are two close-ups--







The stencil Queen Anne's Lace looks like this:




Do I have any more flowers to show today, you ask?  Now that you ask, yes, actually, I do!




Above:  I did the first print with a part of my 3-part 9" x 12" mask Blooming Where Planted.  That mask in its entirety looks like this--



Over that first print, I did a second print using another 9" x 12" stencil of mine, Thistle.  This particular plant -- considered a weed by some! -- is also available in 6" x 6" size, Small Thistles, shown below.




 My thistles series even comes in a mini (ATC) size, as one of the nine stencils that make up my 9" x 12" ATC Mixup Swatton #2 --




All three of these differently-sized thistles are similar enough so that they can be used in combination.  However, they are not identical in size, arrangement, or detail.


Today's last flower image is one that you could call a hybrid.  Its background was printed, in the usual manual way, with my 6" x 6" mask Sassy Spray.  

In contrast to that, the silhouetted flower was first printed on reddish paper with my 6" x 6" stencil Silhouette of a Wildflower Bouquet.  Then I scanned that print into my PC, and used Photoshop to stretch the flower-and-leaves shape.  

I call this a hybrid because the background was created in the usual way and looks exactly like its mask, Sassy Spray.  But the red-and-white image -- altho made from the  6" x 6" stencil Silhouette of a Wildflower Bouquet -- is a vertically stretched version.  Just for the fun of it! 

  




Thanks for stopping by here today!  To scroll thru all my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment