Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 My 6" x 6" Cats stencil ...




... has paired with my 6" x 6" Quilted Flower Garden mask...





... for a fun time in the studio.


First, I chose a paper already layered with leftover paints and made a print with part of Cats:




(For me, the easiest way to use part of a stencil is to place masking tape over the areas that I don't want to print.  The shot directly below gives an example, using one of my Hot Air Balloon stencils.)


 



For today's project, the next step that I took was to make a mistake! -- without realizing it, at the time.  I placed Quilted Flower Garden right over my cat print.  I'd meant to cover the cat print with a mask of scrap paper before moving ahead, but as it turned out, I discovered a way of correcting this mistake, when I got to my last step.






Moving ahead, I loaded a sponge brayer with 2 hues of green paint --






Above: Above the brayer are the two daubs of heavy-body acrylic paint; I've started to roll them down across the tablet of pallet paper.  Below:  a close-up of the brayer ... 






The shot below shows the first application of paint that I have applied with the brayer.





Next, I turned the brayer over, as shown below; this way, the dark green paint stayed in the middle of the print and the lighter shade bracketed the print on the left and on the right.





Below:  I've lifted off the stencil to discover my mistake in having forgotten to mask off the cat to keep the stencil from printing over it.  





But one thing an artist learns along the way is that there's always something to try, just to see whether it might work ... so I grabbed a damp paper towel and started to gently remove the still-wet green paints, cleaning the cat's area while leaving the surrounding print intact.  This was the result --




This quick-fix trick worked because the cat's print was completely dry and because the green brayer-applied paint was still moist enough for the damp paper towel to do what I wanted.

Somewhat similar steps could be done on a Gelli Plate and the results would probably be similar.  For me, it's just a matter of which art-making tool to use; and I like the brayer approach more than making prints with the Gelli Plate. 

Thank you for stopping by today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.




No comments:

Post a Comment