Monday, January 25, 2021

Inspired by one of the videos of StencilGirl's MaryBeth Shaw, I've tried something new -- using stencils and masks with low-viscosity media.  Using low-viscosity ("runny") media means taking risks!  And getting surprises!  Because runny media will flow under the the areas of a mask or stencil that would otherwise remain paint-free.


For this series of experiments, I chose Sumi ink.  This black ink beads up when brushed across paper with glossy surfaces as well as paper previously coated with acrylic paints.  Sometimes the beads are small; other times, they stretch out into pools.  Either way, the lift of the stencil or mask will bring a surprise.  No two prints will match, nor will any of the prints be exact replicas of the stencils or masks used in their creation.

For my approach, I wasn't stingy in the amount of ink I used; instead, I brushed it in generous swipes over the stencils and masks.  This guaranteed a lot of beading and pooling on the papers under the stencils.




Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I used the 6" x 6" stencil Kaleid.







Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I used 6" x 6" stencil Pavilion Shadows.






Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I again used my 6" x 6" stencil Kaleid.  Besides being coated with acrylic paints, this paper was textured.  Its original source had been an outdated Braille catalog.







Above:  On acrylic-painted paper, I again used 6" x 6" stencil Pavilion Shadows.






Above:  On glossy photo paper, previously printed with a photo, I used Sumi ink with my 6" x 6" stencil Trivet C.  Trivet C is one in a series of trivet stencils I've designed for StencilGirl.



I encourage you, too, to try something new ... it's good for you!

Thanks for visiting my blog today.  To subscribe, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment