Tuesday, October 10, 2023

More Prints on Wet-Strength Tissue

 

I chose my sponge brayer approach* in making some of the prints in today's post. For others, I used a gel plate.  




Longwood Florals Mask L675



Garden Montage L652 (9" x 12")





Top print:  Fire Cherries L879 (9" x 12") Bottom print: Garden Montage L652 (9" x 12")



Prayer Flags L371 and Winter Berries Stencil L678  (both are 9" x 12")



L676 Longwood Florals Stencil and L141 Mimosa Stencil
(both are 9" x 12")



L676 Longwood Florals Stencil (9" x 12")  Note: All of the other sample prints in today's post were made on wet-strength tissue paper.  Above is an exception. It was printed on a sheet of vintage paper. 



9" x 12" mask Facets L283 and 9" x 12" Vintage Script Stencil L267



9" x 12" Vintage Script Stencil L267 and 9" x 12" mask L283 Facets


*My sponge brayer approach is simple and it saves my wrists and hands; they suffer if I indulge in too much sponge-pouncing to make prints with my masks and stencils.  My steps are below: 






I squeeze out heavy-body acrylic paint (shown at the top of the photo above); then I load the sponge brayer by rolling it repeatedly over the acrylic paint.  Often I add more paint as I go, since the sponge soaks up a lot of it while getting the outer layer loaded.




Above:  A sponge brayer being loaded with heavy-body acrylic paint.  This old photo shows my using a disposable foam plate. Now, I use a tablet of pallet paper.


After loading the brayer with paint, I place a stencil or mask atop a substrate, secure it with masking tape, and roll the brayer across the top.  See below:





Thank you for checking out my blog today! To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if you get like bubbly paint using the sponge roller. Have you tried a soft rubber brayer? Or better yet, a textured roller! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both your ideas are very good ones! I liked the bubbly look that I got by using Golden High Flow acrylics on wet-strength tissue since those ultra-thin acrylics naturally bead up on that surface. I use my soft rubber brayers and my textured rollers for other applications, but it is a great idea to try them for this application.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my October 7 post I gave a description of the way that I got a bubbly look on wet-strength tissue. For that approach I used a hard rubber brayer to spread color over the gel plate -- but in that case, what I used was a thinned mixture of paint . To use a full-strength acrylic paint, I would try using a rubber brayer or a textured roller. But that would result in a "heavy" look, which would be fine for some projects; but not exactly what I was shooting for this time.

    ReplyDelete