Friday, June 14, 2019

BLOOMING WHERE PLANTED and FANTASIA 9" x 12" Stencils


The reductive (also called subtractive) technique works this way:  First, with acrylic paint, I paint a layer of new color in a limited area -- then, while this layer is still wet, I place a stencil over it.  Holding the stencil in place with one hand, I use a paper towel or soft cloth to rub off still-wet paint in the areas that are exposed in the openings of the stencil.  (What I mean by "new color" is that the substrate has already been coated with other acrylics.)
  




In the above and the below detail close-ups, I used the subtractive/reductive technique with parts of my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted.




To create the print below, I used a sponge brayer loaded with heavy-body acrylic paint and rolled it over a substrate that had already painted with several layers of acrylic paint.





Above:  Loading a sponge brayer with heavy-body acrylic paint.

Below is an updated version of a stretched canvas that I had previously started.  After finishing the painted areas, I added stained stencils as collage elements.  Some of these were cut from the stencil Blooming Where Plantedothers were cut from my 9" x 12" stencil Fantasia.


Above: unfinished mixed-media collage.




The stencils themselves look like this --



Fantasia

 Blooming Where Planted

Thanks for your visit here today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment