Saturday, June 8, 2019

Making Masks with Silhouette Stencils



Some time ago, I did a write-up at StencilGirlTalk on the topic of making your own masks using stencils, then applying the masks with the stencils in a technique that I call "Seeing Double."

Here on my own blog, I'm bringing out more greeting cards that I've made in much the same way....


Above: I've used masking tape to secure my 6"x 6" Heron and 6"x 6" Cats stencils to sturdy cardstock. 

Above:  Since this cardstock is black, I used a white pencil to trace around the shapes that I wanted to cut out to be used as masks.

Above:  I've used fine-detail scissors to cut out the three shapes I chose.  


Above:  I've placed the heron mask atop a greeting card blank.  On the left you can see the masking tape I used for covering the back of this card with scratch paper to protect it from the watercolor spray.  I used two spray colors (purple and orange), allowing the paint to dry between the two applications.




Above:  On the left, you can see the mask that I have lifted off. On the right is the card cover with its silhouette of the heron.

Above:  Here I have placed the stencil atop the masked-off silhouette.  In placing it, I made sure it was off-register with the image underneath.  After using masking tape to secure the stencil, I sponged on a layer of magenta acrylic paint blended with gel medium.  The reason I blended these two media was that I wanted a translucent paint that would allow the original image to remain visible.


Above:  Here, in the finished 6"x 6" greeting card cover, you can see that both images are clearly visible.


Above:  Here's another 6"x 6" greeting card, created with my Cats stencil and corresponding masks.  Again I used the masks first, followed by the stencil.  (I chose to mask off the stencil's upper left corner so that 4 cat shapes would appear; the stencil itself has 5 cat shapes.)  After the misty-look paints had dried, I used a marker to outline the two white shapes I had made with my two masks.

Thanks for visiting!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  To follow this blog via email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment