Sunday, November 15, 2020

To continue the theme of combining hands-on stencil-prints with digital art , today's post presents a few ways in which 6" x 6" Garden at Nemours Stencil S844 has worked in this happy pairing off.

Altho Photoshop is the program that I use for making digital art, lots of image-altering software is available for use in smartphones, PCs, tablets and laptops.  It's been my (limited) experience that all these programs work nearly the same.

For today, first I bring you a combination method that's simple:  Make hands-on stencil prints onto backgrounds that have been digitally created and printed on sturdy papers.  For my hands-on printmaking, I used heavy body acrylic paints.















The two backgrounds above had been derived from photos I'd taken of abstract shapes found on my travels.

The background below had been a photo I'd taken when visiting a nearby historic farmhouse....









The background for the piece directly below was an all-digital collage previously developed in Photoshop and printed on the same sturdy paper.










Because I had printed the above backgrounds on sturdy papers, there was no warping when I used acrylic paints to make my stencil prints.

Another approach to using 6" x 6" Garden at Nemours Stencil S844 with digital art is more time-consuming but with results that are equally fun.

Step-by-step, here is the route I followed in making this kind of artwork.

Below:  a collage that I created by hand.  No digital work yet.  (In the upper right, I had used 6" x 6" Pavilion Shadows to make the pale white imprint on a gray area.)









Below:  I made this print with acrylic paint and both 6" x 6" Garden at Nemours Stencil S844 as well as its equal-sized opposite, Garden at Nemours Mask S658.  My background had been yet another piece of Photoshop-generated artwork that I'd printed onto sturdy paper.










After making the print above by hand, I scanned the image into Photoshop and desaturated it to create the digital image below --









In Photoshop, I made 3 digital copies of this black-and-white image, then reduced each of these to a different size.

My last step was to digitally add these three to a photo of the black-white-red handmade collage shown earlier.  You can find the three of them in the extra-large image below.  Using Photoshop, I was able to further manipulate the 3 black-and-white stencil prints by making their white parts transparent.










Bottom line for today's post:  6" x 6" Garden at Nemours Stencil S844 -- and its opposite, Garden at Nemours Mask S658 -- are a whole lot more versatile than what may appear at first glance.

Thanks for sticking with me thru today's journey!

To scroll thru my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

To follow this blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.





No comments:

Post a Comment