Monday, March 8, 2021

Exploration 5 -- Abstract Composition Backbones Masks -- and Collage

 ATC Mixup 2 Swatton contains 9 stencils and 2 bonus masks ....







.... one of which (in the upper right corner) was inspired by -- but not identical with -- my 6" x 6" mask Ornamental Iron Curls.... 







....and when I used the Artist-Trading-Card sized mask in an earlier project, it became stained with a beautiful metallic sheen that reminded me of an opal or mother of pearl.  So I set it aside, knowing someday I would use the mask itself as part of a collage.  That someday has come -- today.

But the whole started when I used the subtractive technique to create this background on watercolor paper:







This technique is simple:  Choose a painting that didn't quite measure up to expectations; brush over it with a coat of white gesso; quickly place a mask or stencil into the still-wet gesso, and rub with a soft cloth or paper towel.  The results are subtle but, in the above background, they can best be seen in the upper left quadrant.  

The mask I used in the subtractive technique is the same one that I chose for developing most of the papers for this collage:  Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 4 s867

Those papers include:




Above:  the top half of this paper was a direct print made with Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 4 s867.  Under that print, I flipped over the still-wet mask and used it like a rubber stamp, to create this reverse version of the mask.  Note:  this mask has been cut free from its original 6" x 6" frame. 








Above:  I used the same "stamping" technique here, pressing the mask, still wet with acrylic paint, onto a sheet of "catch-all" paper (paper that "catches" leftover acrylic paints that result from work on other projects.) 



These were the two main papers that I tore into pieces and applied to today's background watercolor paper in making this collage --







Additionally, I used small pieces of another "catch-all" paper and some novelty material, a translucent woven synthetic that came printed with purple flowers.  And one small piece of Citrasolv paper that I received in a swap at StencilGirl StencilClub.

Abstract Composition Backbones Masks 1, 2, 3 and 4 look like this --



s864



s865


s866


s867


  

Thank you for stopping here at my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl masks and stencils, please start here.  To follow this blog by email, please use that option in the right sidebar above.

No comments:

Post a Comment