Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Exploration 7 -- Abstract Composition Backbones Masks on Black Watercolor Paper

A few posts ago, in introducing my 4 newly released Abstract Composition Backbones Masks s864, s865, s866 and s867, I mentioned the option of cutting all four from their 6" x 6" frames to make it easier for combining them to make artworks on a larger scale.   

Today's post brings a lineup of photos that suggest one way to start combining all four masks in developing a single artwork.

Today's art-making adventure began with black watercolor paper.  At this point in my series of experiments, my masks already bore stains from other projects; this was an advantage, since it made them stand out on the black background.  I used green masking tape to secure all four of the masks in a downward moving design.  As you can see in the photo below (at far right), Mask 1 s864 was used only partially; the rest extended beyond the right edge of the black paper.



 











Above:  I've applied spray paints.  Below:  I have lifted off the masks.















Above:  a close-up of one of the sprayed areas.

This artwork on black watercolor paper is still in progress.  Lots of possibilities come to mind as to which directions I may take in developing this piece.


Abstract Composition Backbones Masks 1, 2, 3 and 4 look like this (and can be ordered individually)--



s864



s865


s866


s867


  

And I plan more projects with black backgrounds because a black background has so much visual drama!

Thank you for stopping by here today!

No comments:

Post a Comment