Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Whack Apart Those Stencil or Mask Prints and Re-Assemble Them in Layers

 Now I'm taking not one but two online classes; both focus mainly on wet-strength tissue. 

Today I've come close to finishing a collage on stretched canvas.  For the most part, its assortment of shapes were printed using my masks and stencils.

In making the prints, I alternated between using a gel plate with using a sponge brayer (an approach described in several recent posts.) 

Before creating the shapes on this canvas, I cut apart a large number of prints.  

Most of them went onto the canvas in layers that placed part of one stencil or mask print next to that of a different print.

Recently I switched from using heavy matte gel medium to Nori adhesive.  This has reduced fumes from the acrylic paint that are hard to chase away.  (I use fans that try, as well as a chemical air cleaner.)

For what I'm doing now -- wet-strength tissue collage -- Nori is definitely better, in my opinion.  Partly because it makes the pieces of tissue removable, or able to be repositioned, within the first several minutes after application.





To scroll thru my stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

Wet-strength tissue is not available here in the US, as far as I have been able to determine.  You can get similar results with white mulberry paper but try samples of this paper first to find the strength/thickness of the paper you want to use.  If you use mulberry paper, the resulting prints will have small opaque threads of fiber that run thru the paper. The paper itself turns translucent after applied to the substrate with Nori or either matte or gloss medium (either gel or liquid.) To buy wet-strength tissue from the UK, check it out on the second link below, for Kasia Clarke.  

To check out the classes I'm taking -- I vote both of them as excellent -- you can use these links:

https://sallyhirst.co.uk/

Sally Hirst, BTW, is one of my fellow designers at StencilGirlProducts.com. I love her masks and have bought two of them....so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment