Tuesday, November 14, 2023

To Honor Ourselves as Artists

Back when I was teaching in-person classes at a local arts center, someone would ask a question along these lines...  "What's the right way to do this?  Is it any good?  Do you like it?  Will anyone like it?"

Fast-forward to today's online art-making groups.  From time to time, those same questions float to the surface.  One group member even posted his first artwork saying,  "This is terrible, isn't it!?"

This stuff makes me wince.  Ouch!  Ouch!  Ouch!

When my in-person class participants would approach a project this way, they would often deflate before my eyes at hearing my response -- "You're the artist.  I can't tell you how to express your own unique voice in the art you're making."

If pressed, I'd say, "Well, what do you think might happen if you try doing something of this...? Or, better yet, is there some other idea -- of your own -- that you can feel gradually showing up?  What's your gut saying?"

Before walking away, I've added, "You're the artist. The final decision is yours.  Nobody else can tell you what you can do to 'improve' your artwork.  If anybody even tries to do that, tell them, 'Go make your own art!' "

My early attempts at art-making were sadly lame -- but the only person who has the right or the ability to make that judgment is sitting here typing this.

An artist must develop his or her own voice thru studying art that holds personal appeal for him or her -- this includes taking classes taught by admired artists and/or reading their books if they've written any and/or watching their videos if they've made any.  Every class I've taken (there have been many) has benefitted me in some way.  

I recommend a mindset of "Take what you need from each class/book/video ... and leave the rest."  And then practice, practice, practice. 

No artist, in my opinion, ever really reaches a point where billboards could proclaim "So-and-so has not only found his/her own starkly fantastic voice but, even better, expresses it in sweet perfection with every artwork made!" 

If art-making ceases to be an evolving challenge, it becomes pointless.

There is always more to learn and explore and experiment with.  I continue to take classes and I've found excellent online instruction.  

I love the challenge of trying something new.  I take for granted that my early attempts in uncharted territory will flop.  So what!?  If I could create a masterpiece at the starting gate, I'd be wasting my time. 

When I determine that something is a "flop," I consider it a learning experience --because that's exactly what it's been.

But what's much more important is the fact that I am the one making that judgement.

There is only one person I need to please with my finished artwork.  Yep, the one who's sitting here typing this.

Not everyone will like my artwork, especially since I've segued away from representational art-making, to devote most of my energy to abstraction.  The majority of people enjoy looking at representational art, not abstraction. That's completely understandable.  My art will "speak" to some people yet to others it will stand mute.

I wince when coming across a neophyte who seems to be seeking validation by trying to make art that pleases other people.  

My ground-floor education was in what was at that time called "commercial art." Its goal was to create graphics to please clients. There's certainly a place for that in this world (or at least there was, before AI was developed.)  

AI may very well take over the field of visual advertising.  (Or has it already?)  

All the more reason, I say, to focus on making art that challenges each of us and brings us joy.  I believe it's a gift to hunger to create something new.

I also believe that at the end of the day, we teach ourselves how to express our own unique voices.  This happens while studying artwork of artists whom we admire -- a pastime that never ends -- and practicing, practicing, practicing.

I believe it's possible to do this even if personal finances mandate a full-time job.  (It is however just about impossible if a live-in self-centered, short-sighted individual dominates the big picture.)

I'm blessed with a wonderful husband who offers positive feedback altho I've never asked for it, nor will I ever. It's his emotional support in all other areas of my life that frees me to find my own voice, then modify it over and over, as I go thru the ever-evolving process of pushing into art-making territory that feels fresh and exciting to me.

During next week's Thanksgiving, let's be thankful that each of us has a unique art-making voice to home in on.  Every individual, in his or her own way, is gifted.  Each of us makes art as an expression of self that nobody else can "improve."  

No comments:

Post a Comment