Thursday, October 5, 2023

Cherish Color!



Stencils Designed by Cecilia Swatton | StencilGirl Products



 If you get high on color the way I do, here's my latest happy discovery --




 


Don't be put off by thinking it might be for graphic designers only. Or, consider yourself a graphic designer even if you don't do it for a living!

I fell in love with color all over again, moving through this book by Adams Morioka and Terry Stone.  

Let's all celebrate color!





Above:  My background paper started life as a page from an old picture calendar.  With my new 6" x 6" mask Diatom s972 I made multiple prints using heavy body light blue acrylic paint.  The bright colors of the original print come peeking through the opacity of that paint.






Above: I used both my 6" x 6" masks -- Chandelier s971 and Diatom s972 -- to achieve this "busy" print with fluorescent acrylic paints.  Fluorescent acrylics are color fugitive, so I seldom use them, despite loving their bright hues.





 

Above:  My background paper started life as a magazine cover showing micro-lifeforms.  Since my new 6" x 6" mask Diatom s972 is itself based on a micro-lifeform, there was no question I would put the two together!  However, I purposely did a color alteration in Photoshop after making a print with Diatom s972, atop the existing illustration, because altho the original color scheme was beautiful, it wasn't mine.  






Above:  With my new 6" x 6" mask Diatom s972, I explored using complementary and near-complementary colors, since colorwheel opposites and near-opposites make the brilliant best of both color families.





Above:  Okay, I went overboard with color!  But I had fun!  Printed with heavy body acrylic paints and my 6" x 6" mask Chandelier s971.

To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment