Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Resisting in Black and White


I decided to re-visit the resist technique, which is nearly as old as dirt, but I hadn't yet done it with these two pencils.  The top photo shows a white Caran d'ache, which I used to fill in leaf-shaped openings on my 9" x 12" stencil Ivy Frame.  My substrate was a sturdy sheet of white paper.




Below:  With the same stencil, on a new sheet of sturdy paper, I used a white grease pencil.  These are also called China markers and the brand I happened to buy was Phano.  If you click on the photo below, to enlarge it, you can better see that the pigment stick broke.  I was bearing down too hard!




After filling in a number of the ivy leaves, I poured some black gesso into a disposable foam plate and got out an old credit card.  I dipped the card into the pool of gesso, then scraped the card across my substrate, as shown below.




A close-up of that paper:


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.


Above:  grease pencil as a resist.



Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist.


Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist

Ivy Frame comes in two sizes, the size used today (9" x 12") --




-- and the 6" x 6" Ivy Frame 6 Stencil, which looks like this --




To see all my stencils, please visit here.

Thanks for stopping by this blog today!  If you'd like to follow it by email, just sign up in the upper right sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment