Sunday, September 24, 2017

Modeling Paste and Stencils


Light Modeling Paste and Ranger Industries' Distress Ink:
This technique has beautiful results on a semi-finished collage, on the cover of a greeting card or the cover of an illustrated journal.  Be aware that dried modeling paste remains slightly fragile, forever, if it's been applied in a thick layer -- the way I like to do it!

Today's post lists steps I took to create this greeting card cover:




I used masking tape to secure my stencil to a substrate; next, I spread a layer of light modeling paste across the stencil.
Immediately I placed the used stencil in a basin of water.  That kept the leftover modeling paste from hardening so that I could later clean it with Windex and a soft cloth or paper towel.

After the modeling paste dried on the cardstock substrate, I applied Ranger Distress Inks with a brush applicator.  A "barber brush" or large makeup brush works beautifully.

Pan pastels could have been used with equal results.

   
I suggest (1) experimenting with adding acrylic paint to the modeling paste before applying it through the stencil ...

and (2) experimenting with other dimensional products similar to modeling paste.  High-viscosity (heavy body) acrylic paint (especially Titanium white) is another medium that works well with this technique.

This greeting card cover was made with my stencil Flowers Version 1 , which looks like this --

Swatton Flowers Version 1

Thanks for visiting my blog today!  To follow by email, just use this option in the upper right sidebar.

To see my full line of stencils, please visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment