Tuesday, September 18, 2018

3-D Look with Stencil Printing

This artwork may appeal to some, repel others, and make still others want to reach for those 2-color cardboard glasses once handed out at 3-D movies.  I fall into either category 1 or 2.  Not sure yet.




I used two stencils to create this image -- Warped Holes 9, by Lizzie Mayne, and my 9" X 12" Branching Blossoms Silhouette Stencil.

And I used an idea that has been presented by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.  I tweaked Julie's process, starting with the same basic steps she did, but then launching into another direction, after asking myself,  "What if ...?"

In going thru the process, I made the happy discovery that Branching Blossoms Silhouette is ideal for this technique because its design automatically divides the image-area into vertical halves.  I took advantage of this by making a shift in hues between the vertical left half and the vertical right half.

I started with a sheet of 140-lb. hot press (smooth) watercolor paper, securing it to my work surface with masking tape and using the same tape to align my Branching Blossoms Silhouette stencil in the center of the paper --




Starting with an Ink Sweeper and ending with a cosmetic sponge, I daubed acrylic paint thru the stencil openings and across the paper, as shown below.




This was what I saw when I lifted the stencil --




Next, I taped Branching Blossoms Silhouette Stencil back onto the paper.  I could have aligned it perfectly with the original print, shown above, but instead, I decided to take a risk and line the stencil up just slightly off-register with the original print.


Above:  Placing the stencil off-register creates these uncovered white areas.

Above:  a close-up of the off-register placement of the stencil over the original print.

Then I taped Lizzie's stencil over mine...


Above:  Lizzie's stencil still bears the multiple colors of acrylic paints from the last project!

Below:  a close-up of Lizzie's stencil over mine.





...and starting applying color thru both stencils, still using the daubing technique with acrylic paints.





My last step was to remove both stencils for the grand unveiling.  And what I saw is the image at the top of this post.

Thanks for visiting here today!  

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils, please start here

No comments:

Post a Comment