These 4" x 4" relative newcomers could be called stencils or masks; the line dividing the definitions of these two labels is blurring, in today's jargon.
My inspiration for these two designs -- M and Y alongside R and E -- arose from my long-held love for customizing letters of the alphabet. Although these two minis were originally based on alphabetic letter combinations, they have evolved into abstract patterns.
|M & Y, measuring 4" x 4"|
|R & E, measuring 4" x 4"|
Two photos launch today's post --
The first photo, above, shows the start of a new painting on stretched canvas. The bottom layer was created using my 9" x 12" Winter Berries Mask. After that first layer of acrylics had dried, I added a layer of translucent gold acrylic paint. That two-part combination became foundation for this art adventure. I used my just-released stencils several times, layer by layer, waiting for paint to dry between applications of layers.
The finished piece below -- you can click on the image to enlarge it and better see detail -- shows very little of the Winter Berries imprint, but it's there. After deciding enough layers of the new stencils had been added, I covered the background areas around the canvas with a collection of acrylic paints. Here the resulting background looks black, but in reality, it's a blend of dark purples, dark blues and dark magentas.
On another stretched canvas, I started with Liquitex Black Lava medium, spreading it thru both new stencils with an old credit card. After this first application of lava medium had dried, I used the stencils in the same way a few more times. Also, I put the lava-laden stencils to work as stamps -- flipping them over to press the excess lava medium onto the canvas. Immediately after using the lava medium each time, I dipped the stencils into a basin of water and wiped them clean with soft rags (old terrycloth washcloths work well.) I don't usually clean my stencils, but whenever I use a 3-dimensional medium like lava medium, I clean stencils and masks to prevent their openings from getting clogged.
The final artwork above shows that I added acrylic paints and inks to the entire central area of the canvas, filling in the lava-prints and the areas around them.
My next-to-last step was to develop the pale beige edges using the stencils, repeatedly sponging thru them with light shades of yellow, magenta and blue.
Before calling the piece done, I lightly went over some of the raised lava prints with Krink Permanent Paint Sticks. These are oil-based jumbo-sized crayons. Their color goes on wet but dries very quickly.
Other companies make this kind of crayon; one is Sakura. Another is Shiva. However, the Shiva sticks that I've used have taken a long time to dry.
Thanks for visiting here today!
To follow this blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.
Post a Comment