Friday, February 19, 2021

A Fun Way to Warm Up

Scraps from stencil-printed papers are still lingering in my brain, perking up more ideas for their use.

With today's examples, I want to explain something that I haven't before.  

I like to make greeting cards for their own sake, but there's more to it than having something to drop into the mail or hand over to a friend.

I fell in love with card-making because almost every card poses a composition challenge, but a challenge in a size that's easily manageable.  

Assembling these mini-collages is a series of warm-up exercises for me, before I move forward into an art-making day that will focus on stretched canvases much larger in size.

And scraps of stencil-printed papers are perfect for greeting card compositions, letting me approach each blank card with color combinations that have already been established, so I can place all my focus on composition.

These experiments in composition are fun, and because they are just for cards, it doesn't matter whether or not each collage becomes a "masterpiece."  Many of them won't.  But nothing ventured, nothing gained.  My goal isn't masterpieces; instead, it's to explore, teach myself something new, and most of all, have fun!



Above:  Altho these foil embellishments  may no longer be in stock, they were purchased from Paper Wishes, and may still be available elsewhere.









Above:  The copper foil embossed embellishment is a Dresden design, sometimes available at Etsy and possibly elsewhere.  The vertical foil embellishment is from Paper Wishes.  Note:  These items may no longer be in stock.




  

Above:  Can you tell which stencils were used in making the prints that were cut up to become scraps in this collaged greeting card cover?  The magenta and blue print was made with 9" x 12" Prayer Flags.  The green and purple scrap came from paper printed using 9' x 12" Vases.   The bright-green and indigo-blue print was made with 9" x 12" Facets.





Note:  The above scraps -- which I created many years ago -- were not stencil prints per se, but they were printed with my own original designs that I would eventually use to design stencils -- 6" x 6" Ferns 6 Stencil and 9" x 12" Boxed Vines Stencil.




Above:  Stencil-printed papers were made with 6" x 6" mask Sprigs. Foil embossed embellishments are Dresden designs available at Etsy and elsewhere.





After creating miniature collages, it's easier to move into large sizes:




Some papers in the collage above were printed using 9" x 12" Looking Up Through Trees L753 and 6" x 6" Looking Up Through Trees Small s793.




Can you tell which StencilGirl stencil was used in the low-left quadrant of the above collage?  Random Circles, designed by MaryBeth Shaw.




Above:  The background of this collage was printed on watercolor paper using 6" x 6" Swatton Grid and 9" x 12" L791 Palm Fronds SilhouetteMost, but not all, of the collage papers were cut from prints made with StencilGirl's May 2019 Stencil of the Month set.  This set can still be purchased by members of the StencilGirl Stencil Club.





A few of the papers in the collage above were prints made with 9" x 12" L791 Palm Fronds Silhouette. 







Thank you for coming to visit my blog today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl masks and stencils, please start here.





No comments:

Post a Comment