Friday, October 22, 2021

Ready for more ideas on using paint-coated stencils and masks (or pieces of them) as collage elements?









The above artwork, on stretched canvas, was created with stencils or masks designed by these 2 StencilGirl designers --

Curves (6" x 6") by Mary Beth Shaw

Undulating Line Waves (9" x 12") by Trish McKinney

For the art above, the technique I used is on a video that's included with the May 2019 StencilGirl StencilClub 3-piece stencil set.  After that paint had dried, I used one of the stained stencils -- Curves -- as a collage piece.  It's glued to the canvas at the middle left edge. 

I took the same approach in developing the artwork below.  But this time, I glued the stained stencils to the canvas first. Then I painted over them.  Stencils used:  


Valerie Sjodin's 9" x 12" Spirit Wind Mask 

Trish McKinney's Criss-Cross Ribbon Swirls (9" x 12")














Below is an artwork created with several of my masks and stencils, including my Palm Fronds Silhouette series (which comes in 3 sizes -- 6" x 6" and 4" x 4" and 9" x 12".)  The background had been developed using acrylic paints, molding paste and pastel crayons -- paired with my 6" x 6" Mimosa stencil, my 9" x 12" Mimosa stencil, and my 6" x 6" Kaleid stencil. 













The next pair of photos show a diptych I created using 9" x 12" Soulful Scribbles stencils by Traci Bautista.  My final step was to cut a pair of columns from two of Traci's paint-stained stencils, then to glue one onto each piece in the two-piece set (entitled Rainbow.)

























In the above artwork, the background was created with a 9" x 12" StencilGirl stencil -- Letter Mania by Suzi Dennis. The acrylic paint-stained stencil filling the bulk of the area is my 9" x 12" Branching Blossoms Silhouette, which has been cut free from its outer border.  

Today's final piece of art is a complex abstract on stretched canvas.  My first step was to lay in a background using acrylic paints and acrylic-painted collage papers.  Many of those papers had originally been printed with stencils and masks.

What followed was sorting thru my collection of paint-stained stencils and cutting them into shapes, before adding them as collage elements.   These stencils included:

(1) my 6" x 6" Sassy Spray  

(2) my 9" x 12" Prayer Flags

(3) my 9" x 12" It's a Jungle Out There

(4) my Palm Fronds Silhouette stencils 
(which come in 3 sizes -- 6" x 6" and 4" x 4" and 9" x 12".)  

(5) my 6" x 6" Mimosa

(6) my 6" x 6" Small Dangled Pods  (part of my 4-piece Pods series)

(7) 9" x 12" Web by Mary Beth Shaw

(8) 9" x 12" Soulful Scribbles stencils by Traci Bautista

(9) 6" x 6" MB Makes Marks Pipette by Mary Beth Shaw








Above:  this artwork was juror-accepted for inclusion in the 2019 Open Juried Show at the Guild of Creative Art, Shrewsbury, NJ, and received the award of Best Acrylic Art of 2019.




To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  Many thanks for stopping to visit my blog today!

No comments:

Post a Comment