Thursday, October 6, 2022

9" x 12" Stencil FANTASIA L450 -- in Multiple Roles

Starting today's post on a high note is a gorgeous creation by Karmen Staveland --







Above:  Notice how beautifully Karmen used my 9" x 12" stencil Fantasia L450 to print with pale lavender against a dramatic black background.  The entire painting is a gem, and the placement of this lavender print is the cherry on the cake -- how's that for mixing metaphors? 

I could certainly benefit from taking a page out of Karmen's book in designing my next painting!   

In the meantime ....







Above is the imprint left on a stretched canvas after I'd sponge-applied multiple shades of acrylic paint with 9" x 12" stencil Fantasia L450.

Soon thereafter, noticing that this stencil had acquired a coating of paint layers from earlier projects, I decided to alter it with scissors.  I love using pieces of paint-stained stencils as collage elements. That's what I did below --




Above:  This mixed-media collage is yet to be finished.




Below:  In this detail of a larger painting, a part of Fantasia L450 was paired with a rough sponge and heavy body acrylic paint.  The result has a rough texture that, to my eye, adds interest to this area of the artwork.   








Next up:  a print made with Fantasia L450 as its top layer, created using opaque acrylic paint.  The opaque paint covered some of the pink-and-black layer underneath, while leaving enough visible to create a complex and interesting image.  (The pink-and-black layer was made with bright pink acrylic paint atop black cardstock.  I used Trivet B s167.)






  


Somewhat similar in appearance, but different in technique, is the simple print below.  I used one color of acrylic paint for the majority of the print, but switched to a near-complementary color for one small area.  This use of near-complements gives the blue area a visual "pop."  The print's background is foreign newsprint, some of which remains visible thru the paint.








Below are more art samples made with  Fantasia L450 (which, incidentally, is actually a mask, not a stencil.)  The three similar pieces below were all made with the subtractive/reductive technique.  Want directions for this technique?  Just check here; this link will take you to my old blog, now discontinued and replaced by this blog.






















Fantasia L450 in its entirety looks like this --




Above: Like many of my masks and stencils, this image was developed by combining photos I've taken at botanical gardens, greenhouses, etc.



Thanks for visiting my blog today!

To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start with this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment