Thursday, July 2, 2020

More Birds Art Made with Stencils


Birds are taking flight....





I developed the above painting, on stretched 12" x 12" gallery-wrapped canvas, as a take-off from a technique in the chapter Absentee Artist, from Nancy Welch's book Creative Paper Art.  The speckled look (my last step in making the painting) was achieved by wetting the surface and dropping in Brusho pigment powders.

I used masks that I'd created by tracing inside the cut-out shapes of the bird silhouettes included in my 6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings.



6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings

At the time I made that painting, I hadn't yet developed ATC Mixup Swatton #2 --



ATC Mixup Swatton #2 

-- which contains an Artist Trading Card-sized stencil, as well as a ready-made bonus mask of an osprey.

If I decide to launch a new version of this 12" x 12" painting, I'll gladly work in the use of this smaller osprey, since the variety in size will enrich the overall composition. 

Besides making art with 6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings and its homemade masks, I've also put my other bird stencils to work.... 



6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings



Above:  Made with 6" x 6" stencil Heron in addition to 6" x 6" stencil Osprey Wings.



Above:  Made with 6" x 6" Pair O' Parrots stencil alongside a photo I've taken of live parrots.


Above:  Made with 6" x 6" stencil Heron





Above:  Made with 6" x 6" stencil Heronworking on a surface previously painted red with an overlay patch of metallic silver acrylic paint.


Above:  Made with 6" x 6" Pair O' Parrots stencil, used atop a photo taken from an old picture calendar.

An upcoming post will highlight a marriage of mica to stencil-prints; here's a quick glimpse into the future:



Made with 6" x 6" stencil Heron and 9" x 12" mask Loopy Ladders.

Many thanks for stopping here today!  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.