Friday, September 24, 2021

Asemic Writing

"Take inspiration and put your unique twist on it," writes Evy F. Looring.  

My hope is to tickle your imagination with techniques and photos.  My blog posts have the goal of putting raw material out there.  Make from it what you will! 

StencilGirl StencilClub member Lisa Dobry gets all the credit for having encouraged me to try what I call calligraphic scribbling -- but she does it much better than I do.  Asemic writing is the real title for this kind of linework, which can be meaningless -- or can have actual (but often disguised) meaning.

At times in my life I've had strong feelings that demanded to be written out, and asemic writing has filled this need in a powerful way.  Everything I've written has actual meaning, but because I've crammed all letters together and overwritten many, the actual content remains only my own.

To my mind, asemic writing pairs perfectly with today's two featured masks; everything here comes down to the English alphabet.

M and Y m267 may at first appear a strange title for this 4" x 4" mini-mask, but moving over the design, the eye can find that it's an abstraction of the letters M and Y....




M and Y m267 (Hint:  to buy this mask, either use my link given here, at the far left, or do a StencilGirlProducts.com search using its number, m267.  Otherwise you may never find it!)



Likewise, as the eye travels across the 4" x 4" mini-mask below, the letters R and E rise from their abstracted versions.




R and E m268 (To buy this mask, either click on this link to the left, or search at StencilGirlProducts.com using the number m268. Otherwise you may never find it!)



I've used both these mini-masks in developing the next images coming up.  


 



Above:  A Sharpie white painting pen was used for the asemic writing.





In creating these pieces directly above and directly below, I used the masks at times to make prints atop the areas of writing.  Other times, the masks' imprints established background areas that I wrote over.  In the art sample below, do you notice how m268's prints resemble puzzle pieces?  Entirely unintended; but I like it.





Above:  A Sharpie white painting pen was used for the asemic writing.









M268 (R and E) was the mask I chose in making the piece below --






Above:  A Sharpie white painting pen was used for the asemic writing.



  

To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  Thanks for visiting here today!   

No comments:

Post a Comment