Wednesday, February 16, 2022

How did these two collages happen?



Windmills I



Windmills II



Both collages started with a pair of scissors and two 9" x 12" printed papers I'd developed with my Palm Fronds Silhouette series.  This series can be bought individually or together; they look like this--




Palm Fronds Silhouette Large L791 (9" x 12")




Palm Fronds Silhouette Small s238 (6" x 6")



Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini m050 (4" x 4")



Those two printed papers were created layer by layer, each layer a different color (heavy body acrylic paints).  I turned the paper 90 degrees before adding each new coat of paint.  This series of turns is what produced the crisscrossed lines in the two original printed papers, shown below --



Above:  Notice that in the bottom layers I used translucent paints so that each color layer remained somewhat visible.  The top yellow layer, however, was done in opaque acrylic paint.





Above:  Again in the bottom layers of the central image, I used translucent paints so that each color layer remained somewhat visible.  The top green layer, however, was done in opaque acrylic paint.



I used some of those lines to guide my scissors as I cut the two papers into pieces.

It was fun assembling the pieces on a base of watercolor paper; I tried several variations --



Above:  Windmills I in the first trial layout of papers.



Above:  Windmills I in the second trial layout of papers.



Above:  Windmills I in the last layout of papers -- the one I picked as the finalist (which you can see at the top of today's post).



I still had plenty of scraps left so I decided to make a second collage ....



Above:  Windmills II in a trial layout of papers.  The final collage appears above -- the second photo in today's post.




Moving the papers around is called auditioning.  As in the other kind of auditions, there will always be leftovers that didn't get chosen:  not necessarily because I disliked them, but because each collage has its own "voice" and knows what pieces it wants included; and where to place them as a final choice; and which pieces to be set aside for another time.

I didn't recognize that "voice" with the early collages that I made, many years ago.  For it to develop, I needed to take classes in composition ... and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for checking out my blog today!  To scroll thru the two pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment