Wednesday, May 26, 2021

One of Many Approaches to the Resist Technique -- using Stencils

For today's post, I decided to re-visit one of several versions of the resist technique -- a technique nearly as old as dirt; but I hadn't yet tried it with pencils.  

The first photo below shows a white Caran d'ache, which I used to fill in leaf-shaped openings on my 9" x 12" stencil Ivy Frame.  My substrate was a sturdy sheet of white paper. 



 









Below:  With the same stencil, on a new sheet of sturdy paper, I used a white grease pencil.  These are also called China markers and the brand I happened to buy was Phano.  (I bore down too hard and broke off the tip!)  













After filling in a number of the ivy leaves, I poured some black gesso into a disposable foam plate and got out an old credit card.  I dipped the card into the pool of gesso, then scraped the card across my substrate, as shown below.













Close-ups are below --





Above:  grease pencil as a resist.







Above:  grease pencil as a resist.







Above:  grease pencil as a resist.








Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist.








Above:  Caran d'ache as a resist








Ivy Frame comes in two sizes, the size used today (9" x 12") --















-- and the 6" x 6" Ivy Frame 6 Stencil, which looks like this --













To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  Thanks for visiting my blog today!



No comments:

Post a Comment