Saturday, March 6, 2021

Exploration 3 -- An Exercise in Rotating my New Abstract Composition Backbones Masks

 My launching pad for today's project was a sheet of printer paper that I'd coated first with dark gray acrylic paint, then blue "metallic" paint.  In applying both layers I'd swished my brush every which way to get the look of textured foil.

That textured foil paper made me want to grab my Sharpie pens with metallic inks -- silver, gold and copper.
















Above: Having placed Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 2 s865 (now cut free from its original 6" x 6" frame) onto the blue background paper, I've filled the mask's outer openings with silver metallic ink.  

I had no goal image in mind.  Start to finish, this entire process was actually a form of meditation, in the same way that Zentangling is....  No conscious thought as to design; just a simple filling of spaces, lifting of mask, rotation of mask, filling more spaces, over and over.

Below:  Having lifted the mask, I used a non-metallic black Sharpie pen to outline and join the silver shapes -- 

 




  



Below:  Still using Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 2 s865, I've rotated it 90 degrees and secured it to the paper with green masking tape.  Choosing the gold metallic Sharpie pen, I filled in more open areas of the mask.  








Below, I've lifted the mask and made black outlines around the new shapes.  At this point I switched to a Coptic black marker.








Continuing my moving meditation, I took the next step --







-- which was to grab Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 4 s867 (which has likewise been cut from its original 6" x 6" frame.)  Having taped that mask securely to the paper, I switched to the copper Sharpie pen, working toward a finished piece featuring all three of Sharpie's metallic inks, silver, gold and copper.

Having lifted off Abstract Composition Backbones Mask 4 s867, I finished the piece by bringing back the black Coptic marker to outline and connect the remaining metallic shapes.








Above:  the finished fantasy in foil.  It measures just over 6" x 6" and will be glued to a white paper giftbag.


Abstract Composition Backbones Masks 1, 2, 3 and 4 look like this --



s864



s865


s866


s867


  

Thanks for coming to check out my blog today!  To follow it by email please use that option in the upper right sidebar.  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl masks and stencils, please start here

No comments:

Post a Comment