Tuesday, July 5, 2022

That Metallic Look ...

Some time ago, on StencilGirl Talk blog, I did a how-to write-up entitled Foiled Again!  You can read it, and see its step-by-step photos, using this link


Among the photos posted there are the three immediately below --






















In the 3 art samples above, each features a ribbon that's become metallic with the help of rub-on foil and my 6" x 6" stencil Kaleid s085.  A supply list is included in that write-up at StencilGirl Talk blog. (Use this link.) 

Another approach to getting a metallic look with stencils is simply to start with foil, textured or plain.  You can opt for copy-paper-size foil sheets available at art/craft stores; or metallic gift-wrap; or even pieces of foil-laminated paper that comes for a free ride in some types of junk mail.  I've used all three.




Above:  I started with plain gold foil-paper, made a print on it with Ornamental Iron Curls (6" x 6") stencil; then cut it into a Christmas tree shape.






Above:  On heavily textured silver foil-paper, I made a green print with Ornamental Iron Curls , followed by a yellow print created using Pavilion Shadows (6" x 6") stencil.






Above: With my 6" x 6" stencil Swaying Grasses, I used red acrylic paint to make a print on faintly textured silver foil-paper; then I cut it into a heart shape.  After giving it a red background, I added a small red heart that I'd made with a heart-shaped hole-punch.


My 9" x 12" Fantasia L450 mask was used in creating this next  metallic art sample --








A photo fails to do justice to the reflective sparkle in the above art sample.  I used a quick, easy technique --  simply let the first step be a layer of reflective "metallic" paint.  Then bring on the stencil or mask -- and use it with either matte or glossy acrylic paints (or both).  Another option is using them with opaque and/or translucent acrylic paints.


Below is an example of something metallic that's somewhat similar; this piece was created with part of my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted --





   




Above:  This time, rather than add metallic paint to paper, I started with textured reflective foil gift-wrap paper.  I chose matte acrylic paint to use thru the stencil, because of its contrast with the background.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

To scroll thru the pages of my stencils and masks at StencilGirl Products, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment