Saturday, May 6, 2023

Back to Brusho!

Brusho watercolor crystals lend themselves to many painting styles. My way of using them is to go for a "loose, painterly" look.  And I like to pair them with Golden High Flow Acrylics.

You can sprinkle these crystals on wet paper and watch them "bloom" with color(s) as you go.  Or you can sprinkle crystals on dry paper, then spritz them with water using a mister bottle.  If starting with dry paper, sprinkle Brusho very sparingly -- so sparingly that at first the surface may appear blank.  But when hit with water, it comes to life with color.

Because of these "hidden" colors, you may want to use your dry applicator brush to stir the crystals while they are still in the little containers that they arrive in. This way, your applicator brush is already loaded with dry crystals, ready to be strewn across paper.


Above:  Under the Brusho box lies my dry applicator brush.  I use a size that fits into the small Brusho bottles, to stir crystals, as well as to load with crystals for scattering.




Above:  This is a mixed-media piece on watercolor paper. It combines collage papers with a central print that I created using 4" x 4" m339 Seabed Greens after it had been cut from its original outer frame; this print was made with Brusho and Golden High Flow Acrylics.




Above: For this "painterly" print, I used m339 Seabed Greens when it was still attached to its original outer frame.  The background was some handmade paper imported from Asia.  I used Titanium White Golden High Flow Acrylic and white Brusho.



Above: This is one of two detail close-ups from a painting that's coming up below.  This area of the painting was made with 4" x 4" m339 Seabed Greens after it had been cut from its square frame.  Golden High Flow was the medium used in this area of the artwork.



Above: Once again, to make a painterly" print, I used Titanium White Golden High Flow Acrylic and white Brusho, on a background paper imported from Asia.  The patterns were created with two pieces of 9" x 12" L963 Kelp Forest, after I had scissor-customized that mask.





Above: This is the full-sized artwork mentioned above, which was created with all three of my new kelp-inspired masks.  I used Brusho and Golden High Flow acrylics.  I also added collage pieces, then painted over them.
 



Above: This is another detail from the full-size painting.  There is a collaged area running across the central area. Above and below that area, I've used Brusho and High Flow Acrylics with 9" x 12" L963 Kelp Forest.


The new masks featured in today's post look like this when they arrive:






Thanks for checking out my blog today.  I hope something here might have given you a brain tickle to try something new in your own art-making time!

To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment