Friday, May 5, 2023

Brain Tickle?

Flipping through magazines or scrolling along on the Internet, you can easily come upon someone's silhouetted profile; and the one that demanded a second look, for me, was the photographed silhouette of a beautiful woman with gorgeously piled hair -- just her head in profile, and the top of her shoulders.  To respect copyright, I won't show that photo.  But I can show what I did after cutting out that profile and placing it onto the back of one of the prints that I showed in yesterday's blog post.  Quick review ...


Above: Yesterday I posted this print, made using 4" x 4" Seabed Greens m339, after I had taped together two of these masks to make a series of double prints with heavy-body acrylic green paint.


Below:  Having first flipped that green-and-white multi-print over onto its face, I then taped onto its back side a cut-out I'd made using that photo of a woman's silhouetted profile.   Next, I used a black Sharpie to trace the outline....





Above, the silhouette's outline, now traced onto the back of the green-and-white print, is ready to be cut out with fine-detail scissors. 

Below, you can see this cut-out on its flip side, along with the printed paper that's left behind --





Now came time to audition backgrounds for my cut-out.  I started with this:





Above:  I liked the background of warm colors against the cut-out's dominant cool color of green, but one problem remained.  The dark value across the middle of the green print was way too close to the dark values in this background.  These visually merged dark areas diminished the impact of the overall image.

Below:  Having inserted a paper band of light color behind the trouble area, I'm happy with the contrast that results....






The paper now printed green had originally been covered with block letters; those letters remain somewhat visible.  Likewise, the band of pale color that I've added to this collage had originally been printed with letters that now retain a little visibility.  These hinted-at letters, to my eye, add depth, interest and "history" to the finished artwork.

Has this post tickled your brain with new artistic possibilities?  I hope so! 

To scroll thru my stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.




No comments:

Post a Comment