Monday, May 15, 2023

A Leap from Simplicity to Complexity

Artist Claudia Holland has an eye for color combinations!  I need to look at her art more often, for this very reason.  (Artists do well to develop a habit of regularly looking at others' art and asking themselves "What makes this work?")  Today's post starts with a new print that Claudia has made using 9" x 12" Twinship L268.....




Here is Claudia's print --




Above:  Notice the way Claudia has placed the warm color of brown in key areas that beautifully accent the areas of cool blue and aqua.   Beauty happens when you choose colors across the color wheel, or nearly across the color wheel, from each other; these are complementary colors, or near-complementary.  

 




Now I'll shift gears to trot out a recent collage of mine that uses paint-stained masks as collage elements --




Here's the same collage without any labeling --




I like to think that pieces of paint-stained stencils or masks  lend a unique look to collages.

And something needs to provide that unique look, because despite my ongoing efforts, I find myself continuing to build cruciform compositions.  Other compositions continue to appear awkward in my eyes.  Maybe that's only because they're different.  

As my favorite TV show tells us,  "Get used to different!"

Thanks for stopping by today!  To scroll thru my pages of stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment