Sunday, May 24, 2020

Black and White Prints with PALM FRONDS SILHOUETTE and Friends


Today's post focuses on black-and-white prints made when I was taking one of the online classes of Jane Davies.  

For today's art samples, I started with white paper and used the sponge brayer method that's so quick and easy for me.






I had no black papers on hand, so I created some with black gesso.  I wanted some black backgrounds so I could print thru my stencils and masks with Titanium White heavy body acrylic paint.

I left some papers white so I would have white backgrounds for prints made with black gesso. 


Above:  A group photo of most of the prints.  A few more are included in the close-ups below.



Above Left:2 prints with 4" x 4" Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini.  Right: Sassy Spray (6" x 6") 


4" x 4" stencil Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini. 


Above Left:  6" x 6" Palm Fronds Silhouette Small. Right: 4" x 4" Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini. 


6" x 6" Ferns stencil.


6" x 6" stencil Sassy Spray.




6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.


6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.  This is a reverse print:  I used the still-wet-with-paint stencil like a rubber stamp, pressing it to a fresh paper.


 6" x 6" stencil Swatton Grid.


6" x 6" stencil Swatton Links.

Options abound with these black-and-whites.

One option will be to cover them with translucent acrylic paints to fill the white areas with rainbows of color.  The black areas will appear different, too, once they've been coated with translucent color.

Another idea is to use them as black-and-whites in collage.  I've already put together a few of those --

Above:  This collage was created on 120-lb. white watercolor paper.  The central image is a print made with 6" x 6" Palm Fronds Silhouette Small.


Above: 6" x 6" Palm Fronds Silhouette Small made the print at the upper right as well as the piece-of-a-print in the central area under the focal point.  The focal point itself is a print made with my 9" x 12" mask Blooming Where Planted.  In the upper left is a partial print created using my 6" x 6" mask Sassy Spray.  The lined pieces in the central and lower right areas were cut from my original drawing that became the basis for my 9" x 12" mask Loopy Ladders.


9" x 12" mask Loopy Ladders

9" x 12" mask Blooming Where Planted


Sassy Spray (6" x 6")



To scroll thru all my StencilGirl masks and stencils, please start here


Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

No comments:

Post a Comment