Friday, May 1, 2020

L791 PALM FRONDS SILHOUETTE 9x12


I'll soon be posting art samples that I've developed thru combining all three of my Palm Fronds Silhouette masks, including with this sample directly below...






But first:  Today's post focuses on one art-sample that exclusively features the new release -- a 9" x 12" version of  L791 Palm Fronds Silhouette.


Click on the image above to better see detail -- 9" x 12" L791 Palm Fronds Silhouette

Below:  I've set out a 9" x 12" stretched canvas, a disposable bowl, an art spatula and a jar of light modeling paste.  You can click on this image to enlarge it and better see details.  Note that this 9" x 12" mask has been stained reddish from an earlier art project.





Shown below is my next step, mixing acrylic liquid paint with the modeling paste --









Above:  I have begun spreading the mixture thru the mask, onto the face of the stretched canvas.

Below, the entire surface has been covered with the paste-paint mixture --









Above:  the mask has been peeled off, revealing a white-and-green 3-dimensional imprint on the canvas.

Note:  The mask was immediately placed into water in a soak basin to keep this three-dimensional medium from hardening.  The water kept the media soft so that it could be cleaned with paper toweling after the project was finished.

At this point, the canvas -- shown below -- needed to be set aside overnight, allowing this green bottom layer to dry and cure.  





The next day, the canvas was ready for step two:





Above:  I have set out a selection of media that would dry clear, along with a liquid acrylic paint that would dry translucent.  Included in the media lineup is a bottle of iridescent solution.

Below, with an artist's spatula, I've mixed up a thick syrupy blend that looks opaque now, but that will eventually dry to be translucent.









Above:  I've dumped the blue mixture onto one edge of the now-dry canvas.

Below, I have started to spread that mixture over the 3-dimensional greenish surface --





After a few minutes, I decided to switch to a larger spreading tool, shown below:





This tool (on the left) is 12" wide (the same width of the canvas) and this width enabled me to get an even layer across the entire 12" x 12" surface.

The tool, a drywall taping knife, was made to be used for home improvement projects.

The last photo above shows the nearly-opaque surface that would slowly become translucent as the top layer dries. 

Below, after an overnight drying-and-curing period, the translucency has been achieved --





The "flat" photo above fails to do justice to the rich, layered look of the finished canvas.  But it hints at the layering of a blue veil over an opaque three-dimensional green base.   It's art with visible depth.

While I'm on the subject of using acrylic paste with stencils, I want to offer a variation on today's step-by-step technique:  

The first few steps are the same as outlined above; but, when the paste has just been spread thru the mask and is still wet -- and while the mask is still in place -- you can spray that wet surface with watercolor spray. 

Spraying at this point in time means that the mask has masked off (protected) certain areas from being sprayed.  

The mask is then lifted off.  Below is an example of this technique; I could have started with color-added paste, but I chose to use white paste.  My watercolor spray was reddish-tan.  

When I peeled off the mask, this is what greeted me --




Palm Fronds Silhouette Small (6"X 6") was used in making the print above. 


Below:  My 3 palm-fronds-themed StencilGirl masks -- including the new release, a 9" x 12" version of  L791 Palm Fronds Silhouette.


Click on the image above to better see detail -- 9" x 12" L791 Palm Fronds Silhouette


Palm Fronds Silhouette Small -- 6" x 6" 

Palm Fronds Silhouette Mini -- 4" x 4" 

Many thanks for coming to visit here today!  To scroll thru the pages of all my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.  To subscribe to my blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment