Monday, June 19, 2023

Dry Rubbings -- and More!

Dry Rubbings are quick, easy and fun!  You need a mask or stencil (I'm using my 6" x 6" masChampagne s960), thin but sturdy paper and some type of crayon or soft-leaded pencil.






Above:  For my own thin but sturdy paper, I chose a sheet of gold textured giftwrap that I'd previously printed using my 9" x 12" Winter Berries Stencil L678.

My first step was to slide my mask under the paper and secure the mask with masking tape.  Altho I didn't secure the paper with masking tape, that would be an option.

Below:  A close-up of my dry rubbing in progress.  In the lower right you can see the Gelato crayon I chose.  It turned out that Gelatos are too soft for dry rubbing.  But my 3 photos remain valid since they show what any soft crayon would do, when rubbed over thin but sturdy paper -- rubbing them across the whole surface results in capturing the design of the stencil or mask that's under that paper.








Above:  The third photo of the series shows the imprint achieved thru this dry rubbing technique.  I used pre-printed paper to work toward a more complex image at the end, but if plain paper is used, the imprint from the stencil or mask will show up by itself.

I move forward now with an up-front explanation:  I don't receive any reimbursement from Golden Paints, but they are my favorite acrylics.  Among other reasons, I like their range of colors.

Golden Paints makes both Light Magenta and Medium Magenta acrylic paint that I love; in lieu of those fancier titles, I'll simply say pink.  (You can make your own version of this heavy body opaque paint by mixing Golden's heavy body Titanium White acrylic paint with Golden's Quinacridone Magenta acrylic paint.) 

Below:  a multi-print created with my 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960 and -- in the upper right corner -- a "mini-Fantasia" mask that's included in my 9" x 12" ATC Mixup Swatton #1 L768.  This Artist Trading Card-sized design is a miniature version of my 9" x 12" mask Fantasia L450.  Both "fantasia" designs stylize the circular shape, and my two just-released masks likewise stylize the shape of circles.  I enjoy using modified circles in combination.






Below: A close-up of one area of a similar multi-printed paper  done on the same day --






Below: a paper towel used to clean my recently released 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960.  Notice how pretty the clean-up paper towel is!






And now for something completely different! (Remember that phrase?)






The above print was made over metallic blue paint previously sponged at random across a background paper of black.  With 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960, I chose an acrylic paint in translucent red so that some of the background could remain visible.




 To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment