Thursday, June 22, 2023

Patterned Papers -- Part Three

I enjoy pairing my brand-new 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960 with my other just-released mask, 4" x 4" Carnival m340, in building multi-layered patterned papers with  heavy body acrylic paints.  Altho I use a sponge brayer, as described in earlier posts, this kind of layering can also be done with a Gelli Plate.



Above:  My two brand-new masks were used in combination with my 9" x 12" mask Fantasia L450 because, to my eye, all three designs make the most of shapes that are based loosely on circles.  I've found that many of the collages of mid-century modern artist Rex Ray have been variations of circles.  Circles are pleasing to the eye; this shape can symbolize a sense of completion.





Above:  These two background papers were developed on sheets of scrapbook paper, which is sturdy enough to lend itself to multiple applications, including giftwrap.

Below:  The "visual punch" of this multi-layered print comes from the juxtaposition of two near-complements on the color wheel.  The hot color orange stands out against the cool colors blue and green, especially when the orange is dark in value and the blues and greens are in light and medium values.  (Explanations of the color wheel, complementary colors and values are included in earlier posts.  Scrolling down to "Older Posts" will bring them up.)



Note:  Cool colors, which include blue and green, possibly receive this label because we associate them with water.  Also, we're said to be "in a cool state" when we are rested and thinking clearly.  (Morning coffee helps!)  These cool colors appear to recede when used in artwork.  Hot colors, on the other hand, appear to come forward.  So the above art sample visually pulls the viewer's gaze forward in most areas, while visually pushing it back in one central area.  (This makes the overall artwork visually interesting.)  Hot or warm colors possibly receive their label because we associate them with the sun-baked red rocks of Utah and Arizona; also, we are said to be "in a hot state" when our emotions are running "high" due to passion, anger, anxiety, etc.






Above:  This art sample combines "cool" ultra-dark blue with "hot" yellow-orange and red-orange.  This piece is less successful than the previous art sample, to my eye, because it has less overall complexity. 

Below:  This patterned paper was developed using my two brand-new masks as well as -- in the lower left corner -- a "mini-Fantasia" mask that comes with my 9" x 12" ATC Mixup Swatton #1 L768This Artist Trading Card-sized design is a miniature version of my 9" x 12" mask Fantasia L450.  Both "fantasia" designs stylize the circular shape, and my two just-released masks likewise stylize the shape of circles.  So using them in combination brings unity to a finished composition.  (The art sample below isn't a finished composition; it's just a printed paper!)






Below:  Yet another 2 art samples of patterned papers created with my two new masks.










Thanks for checking out this portion of my collected patterned papers today!  More patterns will appear in tomorrow's post.  As always, my hope is that these ideas will launch you off onto your own explorations.  Have fun!

Double the fun by looking for creative ways to use your patterned papers!  Here is something I just learned about.  It will call for patterned papers that are thin yet sturdy.

 To scroll thru the pages of my masks and stencils at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.




No comments:

Post a Comment