Sunday, June 18, 2023

Subtraction!

Subtraction is a quick, easy technique that can be used to create a subtle repetition of patterns in an artwork.  That kind of repetition attracts the eye of the viewer.

When I use this technique in my own personal artwork, it's part of large paintings, or mixed-media collages, that I develop on stretched canvas.

On those pieces, the application is subtle.  By this, I mean that I don't use all of the stencil or mask; I use only part, and even that part generally ends up muted under a layer of translucent acrylic paint or a spray of muted liquid color.

But to demonstrate today's featured technique, I wanted an art sample that would end up as a bold image, not a subtle one.

I chose to use both my 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960 and my 4" x 4" mask Carnival m340.  The latter has been scissor-customized; I've cut off the top of its original frame.  For once, I regretted having done so, because for this particular art sample, the entire, intact frame would have helped create a better design.  But in the bigger scheme of things, what does that matter?

For this technique, liquid acrylic paint works much better than heavy body paint.  Another tip:  Work fast; if you don't, your mask or stencil might end up stuck to the substrate.  This can happen because the liquid vehicle in acrylic paints functions as a glue.

I started with an old sheet of sturdy watercolor paper that I'd used previously as a place to clean brushes of excess gray and black acrylic paint.






Above:  Positioning my two new masks on the pre-painted paper was only a preliminary step to give myself an idea as to composition.  

Below:  Having removed the masks for the time being, I've coated the paper with red translucent acrylic paint.






As soon as this paint layer was in place, I returned the two masks, working quickly, before the paint could dry....






Having set the two masks in place, as shown above, my next step was to wet a rag with water and start rubbing away paint.  I held the two masks in place with my left hand during the rubbing process, which took several applications of the wet rag.






Above:  The finished art sample.  The subtraction technique has "subtracted" much of the red acrylic paint that had coated the paper.  The main areas of paint that remain are the areas that were masked by 6" x 6" mask Champagne s960 and my 4" x 4" mask Carnival m340.

The subtraction technique can be considered the opposite of most other techniques for using masks.  Most often in other techniques, the mask is placed down onto a dry surface, not a wet one.  Then paint, or another medium, is applied over the mask, partially or completely; as the last step, the mask is lifted.  Below is an example --





Above:  The original substrate (background) was near-white. My 4" x 4" mask Carnival m340 was placed down onto that dry surface; then, Distress Ink was applied over it.  When the mask was lifted, the original background color remained visible within the design and around its outer shape.

 So, with today's technique, you end up with a colored area that looks almost as if it's the mask itself, whereas, with the more often used technique, you end up with an area that shows the absence of the mask.

Thank you for following me through these steps; I hope I've demonstrated and explained the subtraction technique in a way that makes sense!

To scroll thru the pages of my stencils and masks at StencilGirlProducts.com, please start here.




No comments:

Post a Comment