Thursday, February 13, 2020

Dry Rubbing Technique in Art-Making


Dry rubbing is an art-tool/technique that I've covered, with directions and photos, here



Above is a close-up shot of a dry rubbing I made using a China Marker, mineral paper and my 9" x 12" stencil Blooming Where Planted.  Almost any dry medium will work for dry rubbing, but I usually opt for a water-resistant or waterproof medium  -- China Marker, oil pastel crayon, regular crayon, Shiva Stick, color pencil, charcoal, graphite pencil, etc. -- because after the rubbing is finished, a waterproof or water-resistant medium will allow me to come back in with a wet medium like acrylic ink, Golden High Flow acrylics, watercolor, etc.

Below:  a pair of recent close-up shots of dry rubbings, this time swinging the spotlight over to an image from ATC Mixup 2which is one of my two new 9" x 12" stencils.  

The first image below was made with a reddish Art Bar crayon and textured off-white (creamy) paper.


Above:  a dry rubbing of Sprigs, an ATC-sized graphic from ATC Mixup 2 ; this design is derived from my original 6" x 6" mask Sprigsbut its swirls and loops are differently sized, so that these two can be used together for beautifully intricate results.


Above:  my original 6" x 6" mask Sprigs

Below:  a dry-rubbing bookmark made with the ATC-sized  Sprigs.  In this example, I used gold metallic paper and a black crayon. 





Many thanks for stopping by my blog today!  To follow this blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl stencils and masks, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment