Friday, February 28, 2020

Emboss Papers with StencilGirl Stencils and Masks


Do you love embossed papers and want a quick, easy way to make your own?

I wrote today's how-to article at StencilGirlTalk -- check it out here, where you can read my detailed how-to.  My write-up gives step-by-step directions, with photos, for creating pseudo embossed papers using stencils, masks and a product called Solvy.

The above issue of StencilGirlTalk shows papers embossed with Solvy in tandem with StencilGirl stencils and masks.  Most of today's posts show ways I've used pieces of my own embossed papers in art projects.  In addition, this post shows an embossed paper created with StencilGirl's Circle Tile Stencil, designed by Mary Beth Shaw.

To get the full effect of these embossed papers, it's necessary to run your fingertips across them, to better appreciate the depressed areas and the raised areas.  My photos can't bring that tactile sensation across, but it's one of my favorite things about embossed papers -- they are as much perceived by touch as they are by eyesight.





Above:  a collage greeting card cover.  The background centerpiece is embossed Solvy.  The mask used for the embossing was my 6" x 6" Trivet A....





Below is a photo of a stretched canvas that I'm using as a base for building this collage-in-progress.  You can click on the image to enlarge it.  Outlined in red is a piece of Solvy that I've embossed using StencilGirl's Circle Tile Stencil, designed by Mary Beth Shaw.






The piece shown above was cut from a full-size sheet of stencil-embossed Solvy.  The rest of that piece is below:





I was still learning when I embossed this sheet using Mary Beth's stencil, so it has holes where I added too much water.  But in this case, I think the holes add to the character of the piece, and I can't wait to use it in a future collage!

Below are more art samples created with Solvy embossed papers and my own StencilGirl stencils and masks --



Above:  The embossed lines created with my 9" x 12" Mimosa Stencil begged me to cut part of this green embossed paper into a Christmas tree shape.
9" x 12" Mimosa Stencil




Above and below are two greeting card covers decorated with cut-outs from my Solvy paper embossed with my 9" x 12" mask Garden Montage.





9" x 12" mask Garden Montage

General tip for today:  I'm wildly in favor of everything that makes art-adventuring easier and more fun.  Why do everything the hard way, when tools are within grabbing distance?  Stencils and masks are art-making tools; they're short-cuts.  No time to make your own?  You can buy ready-made stencils and masks -- then cut them up to make your art uniquely yours.  After they're paint-stained, cut them up some more and turn them into collage elements. 

Thanks for taking time to stroll thru my blog today!  To follow my blog by email, please use that option in the upper right sidebar.  To scroll thru the pages of my StencilGirl masks and stencils, please start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment